After reading the title, I’m sure many of you are thinking “That’s impossible!” or perhaps your mind is thinking up images of hand rolled tobacco or pipes.
What I’m about to discuss has nothing to do with tobacco or even actual smoke. This is actually an excellent alternative for those of you who want to avoid the various health hazards associated cigarettes without having to give up your smoking habit.
If you’ve never heard about “vaping” feel free to read on and discover a healthier and low risk way of getting your nicotine fix.
What is Vaping?
A proper definition of this term is “the act of inhaling nicotine infused e-liquid through a personal vaporizer device.” In most cases the personal vaporizer is a “vape pen” which takes on the role of an electronic cigarette.
Vape pens can be loaded with a nicotine infused liquid which is made from propylene glycol or vegetable glycerin. These liquid cartridges are referred to as “e-liquids” and they range in 0-24mg of nicotine content.
The e-liquids can also come in various flavors such as green apple, cinnamon, vanilla, raspberry and a wide variety of other flavors.
How does it Work?
First off, let’s describe what a vaping device does.
Most vape pens consist of a mouthpiece, cartridge, atomizer and a circuitry sensor. The way vape pens work has to do with the cartridge and the atomizer working together efficiently.
In simple terms, inside the cartridge is where the e-liquid is loaded and the atomizer works as a heating element. In many vape pens there is a coil inside the atomizer that heats up above boiling temperature and then a cotton wick linked to the cartridge (which absorbs the e-liquid) is heated up and vapor is produced.
The vapor is then inhaled through the mouth piece through a deep inhale which is meant to fill the lungs entirely with vapor.
Let’s take a look at a few vaping devices that are currently popular on the market:
- Electronic Cigarettes: These are the most popular and common types of vaporizers. These devices usually fall in the $200 price range, but the rechargeable e-liquid cartridges cost just a few dollars and last several days. They usually come in the shape of a long pen or cigarette and the vapor is produced with just a simple touch of a button.
- Vape Mods: These are enhanced vaporizers that can modify the taste and consistency of the vapor. They are usually larger and come in the shape of a small rectangular device with a mouthpiece coming out of the top. Vape mods come with switches that can turn the temperature up higher for users that want thicker clouds and a richer taste.
- Vaporizers: on your search for a vaping device, you will more than likely come across one of these. These are much larger devices (and usually more expensive) which are mostly used for medical cannabis. They can usually be identified by their large size and what resembles a long, plastic bag which is attached to an opening at the top.
Where Can I find a Vaporizer?
Although many people tend to go to their nearest gas station to buy their first vape pen, it’s good to note that vaporizers sold at these locations aren’t always of the best quality.
For better and more reliable vaporizers, I would recommend an excellent app you can download on your phone called “Waze of vaping.” This app provides you with nearby shops that sell high quality vaporizers, e-liquid cartridges, and accessories.
For the online shopper, you can also find several more options through online stores such as Amazon.
Is Vaping a Safer Alternative?
If you’re like most potential “vapers” you’re probably considering this method due to the health hazards regular cigarettes bring. Although vaping is not 100% safe, we can’t deny that it’s far less harmful than regular cigarette smoking.
But what do some of the world’s best health organizations have to say about vaping?
- According to Public Health England vaping is roughly 95% safer than smoking.
- The American Heart Association states that vaping causes less health damage and even helps smokers quit.
- The Spanish Council of Scientific Research claims that the exhaled vapor has far less volatile compounds than regular cigarettes. Simply put, it’s better for the environment.
If you feel that vaping is right for you, go ahead and join the millions of people making the transition to a cleaner and healthier smoking alternative.